Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU)
Specialized Care for Your Baby
When a newborn needs special care and attention, the 30-bed, private room neonatal intensive care unit (NICU) at Carondelet St. Joseph’s Hospital is prepared with a highly trained team and advanced care methods. Our dedicated team is focused on collaboration to give your child the best care possible. Our highly experienced team includes:
- Doctors and nurses who have specialized training in neonatal care
- Neonatal nurse practitioners
- Lactation specialists
- Occupational therapists
- Developmental specialists
- Respiratory care practitioners
- Social workers
Babies Who Need the NICU
Any newborn that is experiencing complications after birth, which requires a higher level of care can be cared for in the NICU. The length of stay is dependent on each newborn’s health challenges.
Advanced Care for Special Newborns
The NICU at Carondelet St. Joseph’s Hospital is a certified Level IIIa unit. This means we are prepared to care for high-risk mothers and infants born as early as 28 weeks who require continuing care. Our unit features some of the most advanced medical equipment in the state. In the NICU you’ll find a complete, comprehensive care experience that includes:
- The only private, 30-bed NICU in southern Arizona
- 24 hour, in house, provider care
- Developmental Care Program for premature infants
- Breastfeeding support-inpatient and outpatient on site
- 34 new, private mother-baby Couplet Care rooms
- Strong family-centered care philosophy
Keeping Families Connected
At Carondelet we know that even when your baby needs special care, it’s important you are given the time you need together. That’s why your family is welcome to participate in the care of your baby.
We also encourage parents, especially those with premature infants, to participate in Kangaroo Care — a form of skin-to-skin contact that encourages bonding, interaction and cuddling between parents and small babies. This approach has been shown to have big emotional and psychological benefits. Kangaroo Care also helps newborns breastfeed, get restful sleep and regulate their body temperature.